BOSTON – RED HAT SUMMIT
May 8, 2019
Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions, today announced that more than 1,000 customers are using Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, solidifying Red Hat as a hybrid cloud and enterprise Kubernetes leader. This milestone comes as Red Hat announces the availability of Red Hat OpenShift 4, the next generation of its trusted enterprise Kubernetes platform, to deliver cloud-like simplicity with full-stack automated operations across the hybrid cloud.
Open source technology gives us the ability to deliver what our internal and external customers need in a way that differentiates us from our competitors. Our development teams using Red Hat OpenShift have, on average, three or four times more product deployments, equating to more features launching to our end users faster.
451 Research estimates the application container software market should grow to more than $5.5 billion by 2023 with a compound annual growth rate of 28%.1 As this technology space expands, a growing number of businesses have trusted Red Hat to support digital transformation efforts powered by containers and Kubernetes. In the past year, Red Hat OpenShift customers have nearly doubled.
Red Hat OpenShift customers represent companies embracing containers and Kubernetes for their hybrid infrastructures. Red Hat OpenShift is powering customers across the world and across industries. Industries such as automotive, financial services, hospitality, insurance, logistics, retail, travel, telecommunications, government agencies and more rely on OpenShift as their Kubernetes platform. Customers like ANZ Bank, Banco Santander, Cathay Pacific, Copel Telecom, GE, Lufthansa Technik, Macquarie Bank, Miles and More GmbH, Paychex, Porsche Informatik, Sabre, Swisscom AG, Via Varejo, and X by Orange are among those embracing Red Hat OpenShift, including this year’s Red Hat Innovation Awards winners BP, Deutsche Bank, Emirates NBD, HCA Healthcare and Kohl’s.
Nearly 50% of the top Fortune 100 companies are using Red Hat OpenShift2. Almost 30% of the top Fortune Global 500 companies use OpenShift, representing:
- 2 of the top 3 energy companies
- 2 of the top 3 hotel companies
- 2 of the top 3 telecommunications companies
- 3 of the top 5 aerospace companies
- 4 of the top 5 industrial companies
- 3 of the top 10 finance companies
- 4 of the top 10 retail companies
- 5 of the top 10 healthcare companies
- 5 of the top 10 transportation companies
Digital transformation powered by enterprise Kubernetes across the hybrid cloud
As more companies transform their businesses with new value-creating applications, Linux containers and Kubernetes have been core technologies in the multi-billion dollar market for cloud-native application platforms. Red Hat OpenShift has emerged as a leading open hybrid cloud platform to bring together these technologies, which enable and accelerate both enterprise developers and IT operations teams.
Some recent examples of how leading enterprises are benefitting from enterprise Kubernetes from Red Hat include:
- Lufthansa Technik: Lufthansa Technik, one of the world’s leading providers of maintenance, repair, and overhaul services for commercial airlines, created a digital platform to support digital products for its end users in development and operations–helping them better predict events and, as a result, save time and money. The solution AVIATAR includes Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, running on Microsoft Azure, to support the team’s DevOps and continuous improvement approaches, as well as to build, deploy, run, and integrate new infrastructure components. Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage provides scalable storage for the platform and Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform (JBoss EAP) provides a back-end for Lufthansa Technik’s AVIATAR Java applications.
- Macquarie Bank: To transform its digital banking infrastructure, Macquarie moved to a cloud-based solution using Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform. The company is using OpenShift to iteratively modernize legacy applications and deploy microservices in containers to streamline and automate their lifecycles.
- Porsche Informatik GmbH: The automobile industry is undergoing one of the biggest transformations in its 100-plus year history. As a service provider, Porsche Informatik’s answer to the digital transformation of a worldwide automotive trade network is agility by design. It is using Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform and Red Hat OpenShift Container Storage to orchestrate the end-customer applications and support a portable development process. With OpenShift, new applications that once took over a week are up and running after just a few hours. With help from its Red Hat-based solution, the team’s goal is to reduce time-to-market by 90% – from weeks to days.
- X by Orange: X By Orange, a subsidiary of Orange Spain focused on business-to-business (B2B) digital services, selected Red Hat as a core technology partner to help create its software-defined strategy. Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform helps it more quickly create and release new services and give it a “provider agnostic” Kubernetes platform on top of multicloud infrastructure.
Red Hat OpenShift is a leading enterprise Kubernetes platform, with automated operations to manage hybrid cloud and multicloud deployments, optimized for developer productivity and frictionless innovation. Red Hat OpenShift runs on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the most deployed commercial Linux operating system in the public cloud. More than 90% of Fortune 500 companies trust Red Hat.3
Red Hat will host a press conference live from Red Hat Summit at 11 a.m. EDT on Wednesday, May 8. Following remarks, press and analysts are invited to participate in a live question and answer session.
To register for the press conference or view the replay after the event, visit https://onlinexperiences.com/Launch/QReg/ShowUUID=45D50AF9-7E2C-4F8C-8606-B85EBDA927AC
Ashesh Badani, senior vice president, Cloud Platforms, Red Hat
“Red Hat has been leading the industry with enterprise-ready Kubernetes and Open Hybrid Cloud, making innovation accessible to global enterprises. Our investments in Kubernetes engineering and community leadership offer our customers confidence to unleash new application capabilities and digitally transform their business. With more than 1,000 customers embracing Red Hat OpenShift in only a few years, we see this as the first milestone in a much bigger transformation happening across every industry. We are optimistic about the future.”
Jay Lyman, principal analyst, Cloud Native and DevOps, 451 Research
“Red Hat was among the first vendors to focus on enterprise use of containers and Kubernetes. Its OpenShift software, which continues to be a top Kubernetes product in the market, simplifies central administration of Kubernetes clusters, environments and users and automates the installation and update process. Red Hat’s approach to enterprise Kubernetes is well-aligned with enterprise requirements, making Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform, with more than 1,000 customers, a leader in the enterprise Kubernetes market.”
Nilceu Romero Silva, CIO, Copel Telecom
“Red Hat OpenShift gives us a flexible, automated Kubernetes platform to accelerate the delivery of applications. It facilitates the tracking of resources used and the costs related to each department. With Red Hat, we built a development and production environments that can handle even the most critical application, with higher availability and lower operational costs. Now, we currently plan to migrate 100% of our applications and have all new applications developed on Red Hat OpenShift.”
Dave Wilson, senior director of infrastructure and architecture, Paychex
“Open source technology gives us the ability to deliver what our internal and external customers need in a way that differentiates us from our competitors. Our development teams using Red Hat OpenShift have, on average, three or four times more product deployments, equating to more features launching to our end users faster.”
Cristiano Dianese, manager, IT, Via Varejo
“We manage two major Brazilian retailers, Casas Bahia and Pontofrio, with almost 1,000 stores and 50,000 employees. With this widely scaled business, Red Hat OpenShift helps us to drive scalability, resilience, visibility and agility.”
- Read more Red Hat OpenShift customer case studies
- See more Red Hat customer success stories
- Learn more about Red Hat Summit
- Follow @RedHatSummit or via the hashtag #RHSummit on Twitter
- Become a fan of Red Hat Summit on Facebook
Connect with Red Hat
- Learn more about Red Hat
- Get more news in the Red Hat newsroom
- Read the Red Hat blog
- Follow Red Hat on Twitter
- Join Red Hat on Facebook
- Watch Red Hat videos on YouTube
- Follow Red Hat on LinkedIn
1 451 Research Market Monitor, February 2019
2 Red Hat client data and top Fortune Global 100 list, March 2019
3Red Hat client data and Fortune 500 list, June 2018